Stampede to Harris Crossing

first_imgHarris Crossing sales executive Donna Bosgra and developer Glen Maidment. Picture: Evan MorganMAIDMENT’S Harris Crossing development at Thuringowa is being fast-tracked after a surge in interest in the masterplanned community. Four lots have been sold in Stage 5 of the development, which has not yet been released to the public.One sale was a 1000sq m block, one of the estate’s largest, which sold for $329,000.The increased demand is being attributed to a rise in confidence created by infrastructure projects underway in Townsville. Maidment Development Group managing director Glen Maidment said they were now selling land not yet cleared off the plan to appease buyers keen to build in the estate.“There has been a flurry of activity in the last month or two and some really good sales,” Mr Maidment said. More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020“We were forced to bring forward Stage 5 and we released it to a limited number of buyers that had registered their interest. From my point of view the infrastructure spending is starting to have an impact on our residential land market.“The diversity Harris Crossing has is appealing to the market because we have land right down to 350sq m, so it offers really affordable land close to Kirwan.”When complete, Harris Crossing will be home to 800 families and is bordered by the Bohle River and parkland.The estate will have more than 70ha of parkland and green space including playgrounds, boardwalks, picnic areas, walking trails and riverbank access.Mr Maidment said he hadn’t seen a large amount of land sold off the plan since 2010.“We’ve had to do a bit of a refocus in our business to make sure we have approvals in place to meet demand,” he said.“The infrastructure spending is having a flow-on effect and we can see that Harris Crossing is getting a really good share of the market.”For more information on Harris Crossing call Donna Bosgra on 0458 932 850.last_img read more

Read More »

Education Department launches investigation into USC’s handling of complaints against George Tyndall

first_imgDaily Trojan file photoThe U.S. Department of Education announced Monday that it launched a second Title IX investigation into USC’s handling of sexual harassment reports, focusing specifically on allegations against former Engemann Student Health Center gynecologist George Tyndall.The investigation, led by the department’s Office for Civil Rights, will assess Tyndall’s career at USC, as well as how the University allowed him to continue treating patients despite numerous sexual misconduct complaints dating back to the 1990s.“We welcome the U.S. Department of Education’s investigation and the university will fully cooperate with their inquiry,” Board of Trustees Chair Rick Caruso said in a statement emailed to the Daily Trojan. The OCR previously conducted an investigation into USC’s handling of sexual assault and harassment cases between August 2010 and May 2015 after 16 students and alumni claimed the University Title IX office had mishandled their cases. The investigation concluded in early 2018, with the OCR commending USC for proactively complying with federal policies by the end of the investigation. The OCR requested documents and information from the University while reviewing all reports against the staff and faculty made from 2010 to 2013. However, USC made no mention of Tyndall’s alleged misconduct during the investigation, even after the University found that Tyndall’s behavior was “outside the scope” of appropriate medical standards and the University’s harassment policy, causing Tyndall to resign in June 2017.As a result, the new investigation will also look into why the University failed to mention Tyndall during the prior investigation.“No student should ever endure sexual harassment or abuse while trying to pursue their education,” U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos said in a statement from the Department of Education. “Every student on every campus should have a safe learning environment, and I expect all education institutions under the Department’s jurisdiction to take seriously their responsibilities under Title IX. Attempts to obfuscate or hide Title IX violations from the Department will not be tolerated.”USC is also under a separate “monitoring agreement” with the OCR to address compliance concerns and violations associated with the University’s handling of sexual misconduct cases from 2010 to 2015.Tyndall has denied all allegations made against him. In addition, USC President C. L. Max Nikias and other senior administrators have contended that they had no knowledge of Tyndall’s alleged misconduct until shortly before his removal in 2017.The Los Angeles Police Department is also currently investigating complaints against Tyndall.This story will be updated.last_img read more

Read More »