News media identified as presidential enemy No. 1

first_imgNews May 19, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 News media identified as presidential enemy No. 1 Ugandan president threatens to “bankrupt” leading daily Organisation Uganda urged to free two journalist held since last week on libel charges Follow the news on Uganda News UgandaAfrica News Reporters Without Borders condemns the threatening letter that President Yoweri Museveni sent to the national media on 17 May, in which he accused some of them, and international media such as Al-Jazeera and the BBC, of encouraging recent “walk-to-work” protests and said they deserved to be treated as “enemies.”The letter was sent one week after President Museveni announced a constitutional amendment that implicitly threatens journalists who cover protests. It is to be submitted to parliament during the session that begins today.Under the proposed amendment, the possibility of release on bail would be automatically banned for the first six months for anyone charged with “murder, treason, rape, defilement, child sacrifice, rioting or economic sabotage.”The charge of “economic sabotage” could be brought against anyone whose actions are deemed to have a negative effect on the country’s economy. Reporters Without Borders fears that it could be brought against journalists who cover protests, since it could be argued that they are scaring off tourists and investors.“We call on the government to withdraw this amendment,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The president clearly has journalists in his sights. From arrests and increased physical attacks on journalists to lynching attempts and a constitutional amendment, President Museveni seems to turning authoritarian and behaving like a predator just days after being sworn in for a fourth term.”The press freedom organization added: “Although it is being submitted to a parliament in which the ruling National Resistance Movement has a big majority, this constitutional amendment must not be adopted because it poses a major threat to fundamental freedoms.”The language that the president used in his 17 May letter seems to have been designed to justify gagging the media and the use of police violence against reporters of the kind seen on 12 May, when 10 journalists were injured.“Those who have been talking of the harmless ‘walks’ can see their mistakes,” the letter said. “The media houses both local and international, such as Al-Jazeera, BBC, NTV, The Daily Monitor etc that cheer on these irresponsible people are enemies of Uganda’s recovery and they will have to be treated as such.”During a news conference on 10 May, Museveni was very critical of the media’s coverage of the “walk-to-work” protests, especially the Daily Monitor’s. “This is something I would really advise you to stop because this country belongs to Ugandans, not newspapers or radio stations,” he said. Two days later, he talked of reporting that was “wrong or in some cases malicious.”It was at the 10 May news conference that the president unveiled the constitutional amendment. He went on to discuss it with members of the ruling party at meetings on 13 and 15 May. UgandaAfrica center_img January 13, 2021 Find out more to go further Uganda blocks social media and messaging apps, isolating election March 12, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information June 4, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Newslast_img read more

Read More »

Provincial newspaper editor scapegoated in political case

first_img News September 14, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Provincial newspaper editor scapegoated in political case KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia Organisation Regional newspaper editor harassed after investigating real estate scandal The authorities in the northeastern province of Pavlodar have decided that Yaroslav Golyshkin, a local newspaper editor held since May after investigating a rape case allegedly involving the governor’s son, will spend at least another month in pre-trial detention.Golyshkin is facing up to 25 years in prison on charges of blackmail, extortion and inciting a minor to commit crime.Golyshkin’s pre-trial detention was due to end today, but it came as no surprise that, on 5 September, the judicial authorities extended his detention by another month, until 14 October. Further extensions are possible.Arrested on 14 May, he was initially charged with blackmail and extortion along with five other people as a result of a complaint by the provincial governor. After an initial investigation, additional charges were brought against him, including inciting a minor to commit crime (under article 132 of the criminal code).“The authorities are clearly trying to make Yaroslav Golyshkin carry the can for a rape case with political ramifications in which he was in no way involved,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“It is perfectly legitimate for a journalist to investigate such a serious matter and to provide the public with information about it without having to fear reprisals. We urge to the authorities to drop all the charges against him and to free him at once.”Regarded as an honest and professional journalist, Golyshkin has often been critical of the local authorities in Versia, the local newspaper he edits.Initially questioned as a witness, he was arrested after refusing to make a false statement implicating the deputy governor, against whom the authorities wanted to make a case. The deputy governor was also arrested shortly afterwards and has also been placed in pre-trial detention until 15 October.Kazakhstan is ranked 160th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. RSF_en January 15, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Kazakhstan Receive email alerts to go furthercenter_img News KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia News Help by sharing this information News February 5, 2021 Find out more Reporters prevented from covering Kazakh parliamentary elections Kazakh reporter accuses police of attacking her October 30, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More »

Opinion: Pasadena Councilmember Terry Tornek’s Statement on Theft of City Funds

first_img Business News Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena 8 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Community News First Heatwave Expected Next Week Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Government Opinion: Pasadena Councilmember Terry Tornek’s Statement on Theft of City Funds Published on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 | 4:50 pm EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS HerbeautyThese Are 15 Great Style Tips From Asian WomenHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Things You Should Never Share With Other PeopleHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Special Beauty Tips That Make Indian Women So BeautifulHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Lies You Should Stop Telling Yourself Right NowHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyShort On Time? 10-Minute Workouts Are Just What You NeedHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou Can’t Go Past Our Healthy Quick RecipesHerbeautyHerbeauty Terry TornekOn December 30, 2014, the City of Pasadena released an investigation report prepared by auditing firm KPMG which discloses the theft of millions of dollars from the City’s Underground Utility Program administered by the City’s Public Works Department.The KPMG report states on page 7 that the discovery of this fraud resulted from inquires that were made at the City Council’s Municipal Services Committee on May 13, 2014:“On or around May 2014, routine inquiry originated from a subcommittee, the Municipal Services Committee (“MSC”), regarding available funding in the Underground Utility Program. Specific inquiry was raised by the MSC regarding expenditures charged to the UUP under a Miscellaneous project number. In response to the inquiry, Public Works senior management reviewed UUP expenditures charged to the Miscellaneous project number and became aware of questionable expenditures…”As a member of this committee, Terry Tornek has been a vocal and persistent critic of the City’s Underground Utility Program.As the audio recording of this May 13 meeting reflects, the meeting was contentious. Tornek repeatedly questioned and criticized the representations being made by City staff describing them as “infuriating”, “irritating” and â€œdisingenuous”.During the meeting, Tornek also stated the following about the UUP Program’s Miscellaneous Projects account:“I call it a slush fund because that’s what it is and I object to it.”Tornek then advised staff, with the support of Councilmember Margaret McAustin and Mayor Bogaard, that he wanted an explanation what the UUP Miscellaneous projects consisted of. As the KPMG report indicates, senior City staff discovered the fraud as a result of responding to Tornek’s inquiry.Selected audio excerpts from the May 13 meeting are available on youtube.com at http://youtu.be/rdc4wrsvfBM. The full audio recording of the meeting is available at https://soundcloud.com/councilmember-terry-tornek/may-13-2014-msc-meetingTerry Tornek stated “While it is important to remember that we are dealing with allegations that must be proven in court, I will work with my Council colleagues to assist in prosecuting this case to the fullest extent possible and to recoup any monies that may have been stolen. It is clear that the City’s accounting procedures were inadequate and existing requirements were not obeyed. This must change to eliminate the risk of theft occurring in the future.”center_img Community News Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Subscribe Top of the News faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPasadena Water and PowerCitizen Service CenterPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Make a comment More Cool Stufflast_img read more

Read More »

Former service station site in Batesville set for redevelopment

first_imgBatesville, In. —The City of Batesville has been awarded $114,500 for clearance and demolition of a vacant and dilapidated service station by the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs.The proposed project includes removing a blighted former location of Feller’s Service Station, clearing the site, and bringing the property one step closer to redevelopment.last_img

Read More »

Cricket News India vs West Indies: Twitter reactions to Shaw’s debut Test century

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Prithvi Shaw became India’s youngest centurion on debut as the hosts reached 364 for 4 against West Indies on the opening day of the first Test. Shaw scored 134 off 154 balls while Cheteshwar Pujara made 86. Skipper Virat Kohli was unbeaten on 72 off 137 balls with Rishabh Pant (17 off 21 balls) for company.On smashing ton in the debut Test match, Twitteratti went berserk and even some of the popular names in cricket could not stop themselves from congratulating the batsman for his unmatched performance.Here we bring reactions from some of the prominent names to Prithivi Shaw on becoming the youngest Indian cricketer to score a Test century on debutlast_img read more

Read More »

Biggest Moments of Democrat Debate in Detroit

first_imgAuthor and activist Marianne Williamson is the number one Googled candidate at the Democratic presidential candidate debate Tuesday night.She took the debate stage in Detroit along with nine other hopefuls. Williamson, who mounted an unsuccessful congressional bid in California five years ago, led searches in 49 of 50 states.Governor Steve Bullock was number one in his home state of Montana.Democratic presidential candidates addressed immigration in America.Speaking at the second Democratic Debate in Detroit, former Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke said he would reserve the right to prosecute those who illegally cross the border.Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren said needs border security border security but shouldn’t criminalize families wishing to start a new life in America. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders said “a mother and child walking a dangerous path” to cross the border are not criminals.last_img read more

Read More »

SPSCC Prepares to Close Hawks Prairie Campus in Lacey Transition

first_imgSubmitted by South Puget Sound Community CollegeSince opening its doors in 1995, the South Puget Sound Community College Hawks Prairie Center has served the north Thurston County population for 20 years. But now, with the fall opening of the new SPSCC Lacey Campus, Hawks Prairie Center celebrates its final quarter.The last day for Hawks Prairie Center will be September 2. Corporate and Continuing Education classes will begin at the new Lacey Campus on September 14, while for-credit classes begin September 21. Testing services at Hawks Prairie Center will close on August 29, reopening at the Lacey campus fall quarter. Full services will be available at the Olympia campus throughout.The Hawks Prairie Center served many vital functions for the college during its two-decade run, Dean for Corporate and Continuing Education Noel Rubadue said.“The center did serve the community well through its Corporate and Community Education programs, as they would not have been able to grow to what they did without the space resources at Hawks,” she said. “Credit students, especially Running Start students in the North Thurston School District, could access classes that were held closer to their base schools and didn’t have to worry about hunting for parking at the peak times of the day. Hawks also had a strong night program as it was easy to leave work, pick something up to eat and get to class here at the center.”Those functions will continue to be served by the SPSCC Olympia Campus as well as the new Lacey campus. While Rubadue said Hawks will be missed in many ways, she also looks forward to the new opportunities the Lacey campus brings.“I think the new campus gives us the opportunity as a college to establish a more comprehensive student experience that can be different from the Olympia campus and complement it very well,” she said. Facebook0Tweet0Pin0last_img read more

Read More »